Ministry of Health
Tabarbour PO Box 86,
Amman 11118, Jordan
Mohammed Bassam Qasem - Director
The Ministry of Health undertakes all health affairs in the Kingdom and its tasks and duties include:
- Maintaining public health by offering preventive, treatment and health control services.
- Organizing and supervising health services offered by the public and private sectors.
- Providing health insurance for the public within available means.
- Establishing and controlling the management of health educational and training institutes and centers according to relevant provisions of the legislations enacted.
- Encourage healthy patterns and behaviors including physical activity, healthy diets and anti-smoking campaigns and other practices scientifically proven to improve health.
- Raise public health standards by fighting diseases resulting from malnutrition through adding nutrients like iodine, iron and vitamins to foods, or by changing their components, or by banning marketing food substances that are hazardous to one’s health.
- Encourage natural child nursing and ban promoting alternatives to breast-feeding. To this end, the Ministry has the right to stop commercials by any means of the media and control the production, design and publication of such materials.
- Provide necessary services for mother and child care during pregnancy, birth, pre and post-natal periods and child growth. Along this line, the Ministry also administers vaccines and promotes family planning campaigns.
- Mandatory pre-marital medical testing. Terms and conditions of this test are determined by the acts issued according to provisions of this law.
- Provide preventive health services to children in public schools kindergartens and nurseries.
- Provide and extend health services to some non-government schools, kindergartens and nurseries or enforce offering them under the supervision of the Ministry.
- Implement and control health programs for the old and supervise health conditions of senior citizens’ homes and institutes.
- Control the professional environment and health conditions of workers at factories and industrial institutes to ensure their health and safety.
- Implement health programs and activities to fight non-contagious spreading diseases such as heart diseases, cancer, diabetes and other similar diseases constituting a threat to public
89,342 sq km
LEADING CAUSES OF DEATH:
- Coronary Heart Disease
18 deaths/1,000 live births
AVERAGE LIFE SPAN:
Source: WHO, World Bank, World Health Rankings