IANPHI Annual Meeting 2016: A Decade of Connecting, Creating and Transforming
Public health leaders from around the world met in Shanghai, China for the 2016 International Association of National Public Health Institutes (IANPHI) annual meeting. The highly-anticipated meeting was hosted by the China Center for Disease Control and Prevention, which also hosted the 2008 IANPHI Annual Meeting. Nearly 100 IANPHI members, representatives from the World Health Organization, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Design 4 Others, International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), Chatham House and many more attended the four-day meeting.
“This year’s meeting marks a historic milestone for IANPHI—10 years of linking, building, and transforming national public health institutes worldwide,” said IANPHI President Mauricio Hernández-Ávila. “To mark this decade of growth and action, the 2016 Annual Meeting has a full agenda of informational presentations, networking opportunities, and engaging discussion sessions,” said Mauricio.
Attendees explored topics ranging from the growing threat of antimicrobial resistance, disaster risk reduction, the staged development tool, and global health security issues such as Ebola and the Zika virus. The comments and questions from each session enforced the reality that similar public health challenges exist across the globe. The discussions offered an opportunity for NPHIs to learn from each other and revealed the value of having such a network – because no country’s NPHI faces their public health challenges alone.
“Today, our neighbors are worldwide,” said Jeff Koplan Vice President of Emory Global Health Institute and IANPHI co-founder. “The diseases we deal with are transportable. Within 48 hours any of us could be infected. For that reason alone we live in a world that demands an organization like IANPHI,” said Jeff.
Equipped with a decade of accomplishments and a thriving network, the 2016 IANPHI annual meeting ended with a look ahead to current issues in global health like regional health information systems, cancer and refugee health. The General Assembly of members welcomed several new institutes and elected two to the Executive Board. Next year, IANPHI will have the 2017 Annual Meeting hosted by the National Institute of Health (ISS) in Rome, Italy.
Many plenary and concurrent sessions were held throughout the 2016 IANPHI Annual Meeting.
- Celebrating IANPHI: 10 Stories from the First Decade
- Moderated by Jeffrey Koplan, Vice President, Emory Global Health Institute, USA
- Building IANPHI’s Role in Global Health Security: Lessons Learned – A H1N1, Ebola, Zika, and other Global Health Threats
- Moderated by Mauricio Hernandez, IANPHI President, National Institute of Public Health, Mexico
- Engaging NPHIs and IANPHI in Disaster Risk Reduction
- Moderated by Duncan Selbie, Chief Executive, Public Health England, UK
- Driving Policies Through Evidence: How Data Can Lead to Change
- Moderated by Jackson Kioko, Director of Medical Services, Kenya
- How Did You Do It? – NPHI Creation Stories/Case Studies
- Moderated by Rad Salman, Director, National Institute of Public Health, Palestine
- Laboratory Services, Networks, & Systems: Models for Building Capacity in NPHIs
- Moderated by Amha Kebede, Director, Ethiopian Public Health Institute
- Engaging with the Private Sector in Addressing Public Health Challenges
- Moderated by Jean-Claude Descenlos, Chief Scientist, Deputy to the Director-General, Public Health France
- IANPHI Tools for Development and Growth of National Public Health Institutes
- Moderated by Placido Cardoso, President, INASA, Guinea-Bissau
- CHAMPS and Data-to Action
- Moderated by Jeffery Koplan, Vice President, Emory Global Health Institute
- Securing the Future for the Next Generation: Call to Action to Address Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs)
- Moderated by Morten Gronbaek, Director, National Institute of Public Health, Denmark
- Action Against Antimicrobial Resistance: Reports from NPHIs on the Forefront
- Moderated by Lothar Wieler, President, Robert Koch Institute, Germany
2016 IANPHI Africa Regional MeetingRead More
ASIA: IANPHI's Newest NetworkRead More
Failure to Deliver Data Leads to Child DeathsRead More
Leading Edge Practices Consultative GroupRead More
China CDC Hosts Public Health Institute of MongoliaRead More
IANPHI WORLD OCTOBER 2016