INSTITUTION AND LOCATION
FIELD OF STUDY
Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos
Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia
Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia
Tropical and Infectious Diseases
A. Personal Statement
I, Cesar Cabezas, MD, am Head of the Peruvian National Institute of Health and also a Tropical and Infectious Diseases Specialist. I also have a master of public health degree. I have been working in the field of topical and infectious diseases for many years and have worked at the Peruvian NIH since 1991. I am author and co-author on many articles on tropical and infectious diseases including malaria and hepatitis. I also teach at the Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos in the School of Medicine. I am currently involved in TB research in Lima, Peru.
B. Positions and Honors
Positions and Employment
1991- National Institute of Health of Peru, Tropical and Infectious Diseases Assistant Physician
1991 - National Institute of Health of Peru, Tropical and Infectious Diseases Investigator
1993 Pan American Health Organization, Viral B Hepatitis Immunization Program, Temporary advisor
1995 – 1998 National Institute of Health of Peru, Institute of Transmitted Diseases, General Director
2006 - Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, School of Medicine, Professor
2006 - Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Specialty of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, Committee Chair
2008 – 2010 National Institute of Health of Peru, Deputy Head
2010 – 2011 National Institute of Health of Peru, Head
2010 – 2011 South American National Institutes of Health Network, Coordinator
2012 - National Institute of Health of Peru, Head
Other Experience and Professional Membreship
1992 Peruvian Society of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, Member
1995 Pan-American Society of Infectology, Member
1996 Latin American Society of Pediatric Infectology, Membero
2000 Peruvian Society for Liver study, Member
2000 Peruvian Society of Epidemiology, Member
2005 Sociedad Iberoamericana de Enfermedades Infecciosas y Tropicales, Member
2005 Peruvian Society of Parasitology, Member
2008 – 2009 Peruvian Society of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, Chair
2011 Peruvian Academy of Medicine, Associated member
2010 – 2013 Coordinator of Network of National Institutes of Health, UNASUR/HEALTH
1995 Scientific Award LUSA, First award
1996 United States Navy Medical Research and Investigation Detachment, Acknowledgement
1999 First national award, Fundación Hipólito Unanue
1997 Scientific Research award, Latin American Pediatric Infectology Society and World Pediatric
C. Selected peer-reviewed publications (selected from a total of 34)
1. Sanchez JL, Vasquez B, Begue RE, Meza R, Castellares G, Cabezas C, Watts DM, Svennerholm AM, C, Taylor DN. Protective efficacy of oral whole-cell/recombinant-B-subunit cholera vaccine in Peruvian military recruits. Lancet. 1994 Nov 5; 344(8932):1273-6.
2. Cabezas C, Bustamante B, HolgadoW, Begue RE. Treatment of cutaneous sporotrichosis with one daily dose of potassium iodide. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1996 Apr;15(4):352-4.
3. Bryant J, Wang H, Cabezas C, Ramirez G, Watts D, Russell K, Barrett A Enzootic transmission of yellow fever virus in Peru. Emerg Infect Dis. 2003 Aug;9(8):926-33.
4. Zunt JR, La Rosa AM, Peinado J, Lama JR, Suarez L, Pun M, Cabezas C, Sanchez J. Risk factors for HTLV-II infection in Peruvian men who have sex with men. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2006 May;74(5):922-5.
5. Helfand RF, Cabezas C, Abernathy E, Castillo-Solorzano C, Ortiz AC, Sun H, Osores F, Oliveira L, Whittembury A, Charles M, Andrus J, Icenogle J. Dried blood spots versus sera for detection of rubella virus-specific immunoglobulin m (IgM) and IgG on samples collected during a rubella outbreak in Peru. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2007; 14 (11): 1522-1525.
6. Cairo J, Durand S, Marquiño W, Cabezas C, Lachira A, Quintana F, Vegas W, Ruebush TK, UTz G, Bacon DJ. Surveillance for adverse drug reactions to combination antimalarial therapy with sulfadoxine- pyrimethamine plus artesunate in Peru. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2008; 79 (1): 42-44.
7. Whittembury A, Ramirez G, Hernández H, Ropero AM, Waterman S, Ticona M, Brinton M, Uchuya J, Gershman M, Toledo W, Staples E, Campos C, Martínez M, Chang GJ, Cabezas C, Lanciotti R, Zaki S, Montgomery JM, 3 Monath T, Hayes E. Viscerotropic disease following yellow fever vaccination in Peru. Vaccine. 2009; 27 (42): 5974-5981.
8. La Rosa AM, Zunt JR, Peinado J, Lama JR, Ton TG, Suarez L, Pun M, Cabezas C, Sanchez J; Peruvian HIV Sentinel Surveillance Working Group. Retroviral infection in Peruvian men who have sex with men. Clin Infect Dis. 2009; 49 (1): 112-117.
9. Lama JR, Lucchetti A, Cabezas C, Suarez-Ognio L, Sanchez J; Peruvian HIV Sentinel Surveillance Working Group. Lack of evidence of hepatitis C and HIV co-infection among men who have sex with men in Peru. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2009; 81 (1): 184-186.
10. Abernathy E, Cabezas C, Sun H.Zheng Q, Chen MH, Castillo-Solorzano C, Ortiz AC, Osores F, Oliveira L, Whittembury A, Andrus J, Helfand RF, Icenogle J. Confirmation of rubella within 4 days of rash onset: comparison of rubella virus RNA detection in oral fluid with immunoglobulin M detection serum or oral fluid. J Clin Microbiol. 2009; 47 (1): 182-188.
11. JR Lama, H Agurto, J Guanira, C Ganoza, M Casapia, N Ojeda, A Ortiz, V Zamalloa, L Suarez-Ognio, C Cabezas, JL. Sanchez, and J Sanchez. Hepatitis B infection and association with other sexually transmitted infections among men who have sex with men in Peru. Am. j.trop. med. hyg., 83(1), 2010, pp. 194-200. 2010; 83 (1): 194-200.
12. García MP, Percy S, Herrera AL, Donaires F, Alvarez C, Arrasco J, Cabezas C, Rodríguez H,Mamani E. Etiologic confirmation of the first two cases of human hantavirosis in Perú.Rev peru med exp salud publica..2011; 28 (3): 566-567
13. Griffing SM,Mixson-Hayden T, Sridaran S, Alam MT, McCollum AM, Cabezas C, Marquiño QuezadaW, Barnwell JW,Macedo De Oliveira A, Lucas C, Arrospide N, Escalante AA, Bacon DJ, Udhayakumar V . South american plasmodium falciparum after the malaria eradication era: clonal population expansion and survival of the fittest hybrids Plos one. 2011;6(9):e23486. epub 2011 sep 16.. 2011; 6 (9): 0-0.
14. De Oliveira AM, Chavez J, de Leon GP, Durand S, Arrospide N, Roberts J, Cabezas C, Marquiño W. Efficacy and effectiveness of mefloquine and artesunate combination therapy for uncomplicated plasmodium falciparum malaria in the peruvian amazon Am j trop med hyg. 2011; 85 (3): 573-578.
15. Kohlhoff M, Borges MH, Yarleque A, Cabezas C, Richardson M, Sanchez EF. Exploring the proteomes of the venoms of the peruvian pit vipers bothrops atrox, b. barnetti and b. pictus J proteomics. 2012. 2012; 32 (1): 57- 61.
16. Yáñez P, Mamani E, Valle J, García MP, León W, Villaseca P, Torres D, Cabezas C. Genetic variability of aedes aegypti determined by mitochondrial gene nd4 analysis in eleven endemic areas for dengue in peru. Rev peru med exp salud publica.. 2013; 30 (2): 246-50
17. Vagenas P, Ludford KT, Gonzales P, Peinado J, Cabezas C, Gonzales F, Lama JR, Sanchez J, Altice FL; for the Peruvian HIV Sentinel Surveillance Working Group . Being unaware of being hiv-infected is associated with alcohol use disorders and high-risk sexual behaviors among men who have sex with men in Peru Aids behav. 2013 may 14. 2013; 12 (1):
18. Condori-Condori RE, Streicker DG, Cabezas-Sanchez C, Velasco-Villa A. Enzootic and epizootic rabies associated with vampire bats, Peru. Emerg infect dis. 2013 sep;19(9). 2013; 19 (9): 1809-1828
D. Research support
(Cabezas) January, 2012 – November 2013
Instituto Nacional de Salud - Peru
Pathological characterization and molecular diagnosis of tuberculosis granulomas with quiescent. Principal Objective: Pathological characterization and molecular diagnosis of tuberculosis granulomas with quiescent in people who died in Lima.
(Cabezas) January 2011 – September 2013
Instituto Nacional de Salud – Peru
Prevalence of viral hepatitis B and delta and viral load determination for the treatment of chronic HBV carriers in Matsés community residents in the Peruvian Amazon, Loreto 2011.
Principal Objective: To determine the prevalence of HBV and Delta, as well as viral load for the treatment of chronic HBV carriers